Italian - ItalyAlbanian-ALEnglish (United Kingdom)
Butrinti PDF Print Email

The Butrint National Park

The archaeological site of Butrint is located within the Butrint National Park. The importance of Butrint to Albania’s cultural heritage was first recognised in 1948 when it became a “site of historical importance.” In 1992 Butrint was designated as a World Heritage Site – a status that identifies cultural and natural sites of outstanding universal value.

The National Park was established in 2000 affording Butrint full protection within Albanian Law. The original 26 sq km of the park boundaries were in 2005 expanded to 86 sq km.

The Park Director, Raimond Kola and the Butrint National Park staff can be contacted by phone on +355 852 4600 or by email at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

 

 

Walking through the ruins of Butrint, it is hard to imagine the different forms the town has taken, and the differing fortunes of its inhabitants through the generations.

The route in this site will follow a virtual walk round Butrint: use the numbered top menu or the map on the top right to navigate around the peninsula, following the path one would take during a visit to the ancient city.

Within each section, follow any of the right hand side-links for more in depth information about each site.

 

  1. The changing settlement
  2. Sacred Origins
  3. The sanctuary of Asclepius
  4. The Theatre
  5. The Roman colony
  6. The expansion of Butrint
  7. Roman Town planning
  8. A private residence - the triconch palace
  9. The Baptistery and early christian Butrint
  10. Gateway to Butrint
  11. The Churches of Butrint
  12. Early fortifications
  13. The lion gate
  14. Later fortifications
  15. The Butrint Museum

 


comments